How big of a rainwater tank do I need?

Determining the size of rainwater tank you need will depend on several factors such as the size of your roof catchment area, the amount of rainfall in your area, and your water usage needs. It’s always best to calculate your specific needs based on your unique circumstances.

As a general rule of thumb, you should aim for a rainwater tank that can store at least two weeks’ worth of water supply.

How do I calculate what size water tank I need?

The size of the rainwater tank you need will depend on various factors, including the size of your roof catchment area, your average annual rainfall, and your water usage requirements.

Contact our team to assist you in determining the size of tank that you will need.

We will be needing the following information:

  • The size of your roof catchment area: Multiply the length and width of your roof to get the roof area in square meters.
  • The average annual rainfall in your area: You can find this information online or from your local weather bureau.
  • Estimated water usage: Determine how much water you need by the number of people in your household and your daily needs, such as drinking, cooking, cleaning, and watering plants.
  • Other factors: Depending on your situation, you may also need to consider factors such as the cost of the tank, the space available for the tank, and any local regulations or restrictions on rainwater harvesting.

We will be able to estimate the minimum size of the tank needed based on the amount of rainwater you can collect and your water usage requirements. Your tank should be able to store at least two weeks of water supply.

Keep in mind that these calculations are just an estimate, and the actual size of the tank you need may vary depending on your specific circumstances. Get in touch with us today to discuss your requirements.

What is the difference between Grade 304 and 306 stainless steel water tank?

Grade 304 and Grade 316 are two common types of stainless steel that are often used to make water tanks.

Both Grade 304 and Grade 316 stainless steel are corrosion-resistant, but Grade 316 stainless steel is more resistant to corrosion in marine and chloride environments due to the presence of molybdenum.

Grade 316 stainless steel is preferred for applications where higher corrosion resistance is required, such as in marine environments or in areas with high chloride content.

How do I know my BAL rating?

The BAL rating system is used to assess the level of risk to a property from bushfire, and it is based on factors such as the vegetation type, slope, and distance to potential fire hazards. This rating will determine the type of BAL-rated water tank that you need.

To determine your Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) rating, you need to conduct a site assessment or seek advice from a qualified professional such as a building surveyor or fire consultant.

Go to and contact the Victorian Building Authority to know your BAL rating.

If you have any questions or require more information, please contact our friendly team today.